Friday, October 29, 2010

My First Wonky Quilts

Amy's Creative Side - Blogger's Quilt Festival

I got to go to the Houston Quilt Festival twice while we were living in Texas. Take a moment to be nostalgic...Sigh... I would love to be there this year, but my local AQS Quilt Show and the Blogger's Quilt Festival will be as close as I get. Thanks for hosting it again Amy!


Last year I quilted along with the Old Red Barn Co. and Quilt Dad John. John wrote a wonderful series of posts on piecing wonky blocks. Can you believe I had never heard the term "wonky" used to describe quilting before? I love learning from everyone on the web! Anyway, I made these two quilts for a coworker of my husband's who was having twins. It was so fun. I love how freeing the wonky piecing is.

I tried out some flower free motion quilting and made a scrappy binding. I hope the girls have as much fun snuggling with them as I did making them.

Thanks for stopping by. Check out all the other great quilts at the Blogger's Quilt Festival.

20 comments:

  1. well, one girl sure looks quite happy with your beautiful, lovely quilt! :-)
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I agree, I love learning from everyone out here online. There's always something new to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fabric choice. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quilters are the most generous folks around--sharing all the good designs from their brains for free! Thanks for sharing your quilt's story (and the adorable little girl pic) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your WOnky Quilt!! xx and your little model is a doll!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leila - what a fabulous new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too cute. The quilts are wonderful as you can tell by the big smile on you sweet model.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty. Lots of lovely fabrics and I really like the multi colored binding.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the quilt and the model is a little cutie pie too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty! I haven't been able to let myself go 'wonky'. Not brave enough.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great modern quilt! Did you see Jaybird Quilts blog, she just posted pictures from the market.

    Angie - www.craftedAngles.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. The internet can sure be a learning curve! :) Cute quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love this quilt...i see lots of fabrics that are familiar because i have them or have had them!@!!! the colors are so great and your little girl is showing it off beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Leila. I think your quilt is gorgeous! The colours are lovely and your quilting looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been wanting to try a wonky quilt, yours turned out so cute. I also love the free motion stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great quilt, I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the wonk! Your little Miss looks like she loves it too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. darling quilt and how fun for the little girls to have. i have twinnie granddaughters and love making things for them. i love wonky things--so enjoyable to make and great to look at. thanks for sharing and have a great day

    ReplyDelete