Friday, August 19, 2011

Block 8 - Breaking Out


When I saw this block by Jennie (aka sunflowerquilts)  on flickr it was love at first sight.   knew I had to make one and today I will show you how to make it too.


Skill:  Flying Geese, the "Magic" Method.

Fabric:  Choose three different fabrics for the geese and one fabric for the background.  Make sure the geese standout against the background fabric.

Cutting:




1 -   5.25 inch square out of 3 different fabrics
        (3 squares total)
12 -  2 7/8 inch squares
4 -    6.5 x 2.5 inch rectangles


 Draw a line from corner to corner on each 2 7/8 inch square.

Pin two small squares to opposite corners of each large square.  Position the small squares so the diagonal line runs from corner to corner.  The small squares will overlap in the center.

 Sew a seam 1/4 inch to both sides of the line.  It is better to be a hair closer to the line than a 1/4 inch than a hair away, so don't stray.  :)

 Cut apart on the line.

 Press towards the little triangles.  The pieces should look like little hearts now.

Pin a small square to the remaining corner of the large piece.  Make sure the line runs from the corner of the large piece to the middle of the two small triangles.  Sew a seam 1/4 inch away from the line on both sides.

 Cut in half.

Press open.  It's like Magic!  I could make hundreds of flying geese with this method.  Love it!  But we are not done yet.

Trim all of those dog ears off to reduce bulk.  Check the flying geese to make sure they measure 4.5 x 2.5.  If they are larger, trim to size.  When trimming be sure to leave a 1/4 inch between the point of the goose and the edge of the fabric or else your points will be cut off.

 Lay out the pieces as shown.
 Sew each set of three flying geese together.

Sew the rectangles to the left of each flying geese unit.

 Sew two of the quarters together.

 Sew each half together.  The block should measure 12.5 inches square.

And you are done!
You did it!


12 comments:

  1. Ooh! I love it. And I can't wait to try this method!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! The Heavenly choirs just started singing!! that is a magic method!!! Can't wait to try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what an awesome block! i just learned how to do geese blocks like the a couple days ago and it is awesome. that makes a 12" finished block, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial on the Magic Flying Geese Method. While I'm not doing the QAL - I have been searching for an easier method to get these bad boys assembled! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my favorite way to make flyiing geese, especially because you need 4 of them in so many blocks, and you get them in one go.

    I even bought a special ruler so I don't have to do the math to get them to come out right no matter what size I need.

    Pat from FL & MI

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the tutorial. I love the magic method. Since I still had to make the Virginia Star (proper way this time) I used it for the flying geese there, too. And it worked like... magic :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. To each their own, but this was not my fav method for flying geese. I will stick to the one from last week. But my block turned out cute anyway! Thanks Leila!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did this block today, so I would be up to date and ready for this week's block. It took me a couple of hours; I stitched some pieces the wrong way around and had to unpick them all! But I got it done, and am reasonably happy with the result. Piccie on your Flickr site in a minute...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am off to use this magic method- I just looked at your pics and thought aha! Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just made this block it is great thanks !!

    ReplyDelete