Saturday, September 10, 2011

Leila Goes to the Quilt Show


Only three weeks until the annual American Quilter's Society Quilt Show in Des Moines!  It is nothing like the Houston Show or Market, but it is as good as it gets here in Iowa and I have had a fun time going the last two years.

From last year:  A Farmer's Wife?  Or did the quilter design her own blocks?  
Except I can never get anyone to go with me.  I thought I had a few gals from church lined up to go last year, but they all (ok, there were only two who showed any interest) had things come up.   It wasn't bad going by myself and I tried not to feel like Loner-Leila-No-Friends, but then I would get really excited about a quilt or fabric and just have to say something to someone about it.  Half the people were friendly and the other half gave me "Do-I-know-you? Don't-you-know-better-than-to-talk-to-random-people?" looks and short answers.  Kind of a downer.  But not this year!!!  Or if it does happen again this year it won't be because I didn't do my darnedest to find someone to go with.

I love this one.  The center hexagon has an appliqued doily.

So this is my Three Pronged Plan to have someone to gush to at the show:
  1. I am going to try to recruit my church friends again...third time's the charm?
  2. I am going to go to the Des Moines Modern Quilt Guild meeting on the 15th and see if anyone wants to meet up (They have a fun meeting planned too.)
  3. And I will be in the way-over-priced food court at noon if anyone from blogland wants to get together.  I will be wearing a red rose and eating a sack lunch.  :)
This American Jane pattern is on my "make someday" list.
Common!  You know you have always wanted to visit Des Moines.  Right?!?  It's so exciting, historic......well, there is a quilt show and it doesn't get any better than that.  :)  Did I mention there were lots of vendors?

18 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about going to the show and I will be at the DSMMQG meeting. I hate to drive all the way to Des Moines 2 weeks in a row, but I might do it if I had someone to walk around with. I live in Cedar Rapids so it's a bit of a drive. Can we chat at the meeting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go with you if I was a bit closer!

    I know a little about Des Moines; the author Bill Bryson is from there and he writes a very funny intro to one of his books about growing up there. Possibly wasn't the most completely complimentary shout out for Des Moines but it WAS funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was only nearby, I would go with you!but it is too far from UK....

    I will go with you in my heart, and look forward to your report. Gush away, I am listening, and agreeing like mad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sure wish I could go with you Leila! I would love to hear your comments on the quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually never miss the Des Moines show. But this year, I won't be able to make it. And I've been by myself also. Wish we could have met up! Maybe next year. I won the raffle quilt, I think it was eight years ago. My pride and joy! I couldn't believe it when they called me and said I had won. It's such a beautiful quilt.
    So, enjoy the show this year. It's always a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I was in the same country as you, I'd consider it! I too always end up at these shows by myself, even when it was planned to go with others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back and forth about going to this. If I had someone to drive over with (I'm in Iowa City) I'd be more likely too. I complain about quilting in isolation, and here is an amazing event just two hours away...

    I plan to go to my FIRST Old Capital Quilt Guild meeting tomorrow. Maybe a kind sole will want to drive over with me next weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd go if I hadn't just driven to SF and back and have so many other plans for almost every wkend right now. I really will consider next year though. Also, consider coming to the MN one. It was in St Paul this year and I'm unsure of next yr, maybe Rochester?? I could meet you at that one.
    Lroghair (at) aol (dot) com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish it was not so far, I would meet you for lunch for sure! I hope you go and have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could go with you - I know what it is like not to have anyone to go to a quilt show with. Take lots of pictures & gush about it here, I'm listening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You guys are so sweet! I keep telling my husband that we all need to get home transporter systems like on Star Trek and then we could just jump up and go where ever we wanted. :) If we could do that I would say we just skip Des Moines and meet up in Houston for the International Quilt Festival next month. I would be so fun to hang out with other crazed quilters.

    When I tell people I like to quilt I don't think it expresses how far gone I am. How many lines of fabric, designers and online fabric stores I know by name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow- that first quilt is unbelievable! Talk about intense piecing- Dang! They've got skills!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would totally go with you if I didn't live halfway across the country. :(

    I am sure you will have a blast no matter who you end with. :) It is a quilt show after all!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! I'm going to the DesMoines show. I was there by myself last year while my hubby was working. I'm from central Illinois, and I find DesMoines much more exciting than where I'm from, just saying!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would LOVE to go with you but i am so sorry ..... I am in France . Wish i was nearby!! Love your amishquilt on Moda.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm driving down from Mason City on Wed, then again on a bus Saturday. I didn't go last year, so I'm excited about coming this year. I didn't know there was a modern guild in DM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Leila! I wish I could go with you this year! Definitely next year, I will be there. We are moving to Des Moines next summer, so I won't miss it. I will be your Quilt Show Buddy!
    Amy
    abcsemartin(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Leila, you poor lonely gal! But it looks like you may have company this year! I am very lucky; I have several friends who love going to the quilt and craft fairs, and I can always bank on at least one of them to go with me to our Fairs. I don't know if I'd go on my own, it wouldn't be half the fun. On the other hand, I hate missing any of the shows!

    ReplyDelete