Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Value, Color, Orientation and Amazing Talent!

I just spent an hour looking through the Skill Builder Sampler Flickr Pool.  You guys are AMAZING!   So many cool fabric combinations!   I have a serious case of fabric envy.  :)

As I was going through all of the pictures I realized that the same block could have many different "looks".  Let's look at the Double Star block.  (You can click on any of these pictures to see them in Flickr.)


Double Star by Gina
This Double Star by Gina uses the same light/dark combos my example block did.  I love how refreshing it looks, like a pool.

Block 9 - Double star
Then CrizzyZ2 used a light fabric in the middle that gave the block a more open fresh look.  Love the coral fabric!

SBS block 9
Cassie used the same fabric for two of the "rounds."  It looks like a completely different block!  Seriously love it!  There are so many different looks you can achieve depending on what fabric you choose and where you place it!

And then there are the different looks you get when you flip block pieces.

Double Star
Mama Thomps block, with the flipped outer geese, is a great example of this.  Doesn't her Double Star look rich?

Take a look at these accidental beauties.

Skill Builder Sampler-Double Star
Miss 376/Loopylou flipped some inner geese on accident, but I think it gives the block a fun look.  I like the side chevrons it forms and would like to see a block with both inner geese flipped.  We could name it The Loopylou Star.  :)

not exactly Virginia Star
Tusen accidentally flipped her geese on the Virginia Star and came up with this.  Love it!  I think a whole quilt of these would be great.  Does anyone know if this block already has a name?  If not, The Tusen Cross it is!  :)

Bloco do Sampler
And Leia added an extra layer of fun and complexity to Breaking Out.  It took me a second to figure out what was different - can you see it?  Instead of solid side strips she added a corner square and extra blue goose!

I love seeing how you take these tutorials and make them your own.  This is what I love about quilting - the creativity and skill it takes to put bits of fabric together and make something more beautiful than the individual pieces.  Sometimes it doesn't turn out like expected (and that can be a very good thing!), but that is part of the journey and makes the successes all the more sweet.  I am so glad we can share this Sampler journey together.   Thank You!!!

Alright...sappiness officially over - go look at some more quilts.  ;)

5 comments:

  1. This has been a fun project to share in, so thank you for taking the time to put it together. Glad to see I'm not the only one that has made "adaptations" to the patterns, lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them all. This has been a fun one, Leila. I will say that I'm using a block VERY similar to the "Tusen Cross" as a Quilt Along right now. I like hers as a square in the middle: I put the little square in the center on point which made it a diamond going around.
    Just in case anyone is interested:
    http://tildastwistedlife.blogspot.com/p/diamond-chains-quilt-along.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to see how small changes in fabric or pattern result in totally different blocks.
    And thank you so much for featuring my accidental one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, thanks for putting my block up there! I always love looking and seeing the little changes everyone makes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy seeing how each individual interprets the different blocks and makes them unique. Thank you once again Leila, I am loving this QAL

    ReplyDelete