Friday, October 7, 2011

13 - String Block

Today we will be making a string block using a paper foundation.  A foundation can be paper or fabric and is a base you build your block on.  A foundation keeps odd shaped and bias cut fabrics in place and steady (ie not stretching every which way) during the piecing process.


To make this block, follow the instructions in Ashley's, from Film in the Fridge, tutorial.  The only change is to cut the pieces of paper 6.5 inches square.  I just used my rotary cutter to cut the paper squares - it is getting dull anyway - easy peasy.

If you have any questions please be sure to ask.


Before I forget the winner of the Block 10-12 Giveaway is..... #18, Kathy!  Congratulations!

Kathy said...  I completed a bonus block using the waverunner design. You can check it out at:
http://new2quilting.blogspot.com/2011/10/we-can-do-it-skill-builder-sampler.html
(or looking in the flcker group under Shahann)
DSCN2401
Here is her waverunner block!
Thanks for playing along everyone!

8 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! I've come across that tutorial before and I've been waiting to make a block like this. Now I have my reason to do it. And ... I'm off!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathy, you won again girl! You are rocking it lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Hope it works with my rather limited colour and fabric combination, too :) Can't wait to try it - tomorrow, hopefully.
    I like Kathy's waverunner block very much, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this pattern! I saw it online last year, and used some of my neckties to make a block, and the colours are fabulous! But I've got a different colour scheme in mind for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The block is lovely as is Kathy's! Time for me to get caught up again, I am so enjoying this project and am learning a lot, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And done :) I've enjoyed making it very much and without our Skill Builder Sampler it might have been a long time before I tried making it. Thank you, Leila.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, after I made mine, I realized the point was to have an inner diamond/square. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did mine first thing today before I started work on a wallhanging I wanted to finish. It is a bit more 'scrappy' than it should be, because I was in a hurry and didn't line up the centre white strips carefully enough. But I was aiming for a particular colour combination, and I was happy with what I came up with.

    ReplyDelete