Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Bee Blocks

I just put all my bee blocks in the mail.  The first group was the blocks for the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee.  


This is how they looked two months ago...

And here they are in all of their finished glory.  I used the Beacon Light tutorial and gave each block a customized center based on the recipient's  mosaic of favorite blocks.  A whole quilt of this block in rainbow colors would be so fun - but I am totally burned out on trimming quarter square triangles down to size right now.  :)

I always saw people posting their 3x6 Bee Blocks and didn't know what in the world they were talking about, so I'm going to take a minute to explain the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee.  Basically, a bunch of people get together and they are divided into groups of 6.  Each group is called a "hive" and one member of the group is designated as the "caretaker" and is responsible to make sure things run smoothly for the group.    Each member agrees to make a 12 inch finished block for each of the other members - 5 blocks total.  That's where the 5 comes into play.  (I made 6 because I wanted one for myself too.)   All 5 blocks are made with the same pattern.

How do you make sure everyone gets blocks that they like?  First, the group is designated as "Modern" and has specific guidelines as to what types/styles of fabric can be used.  Also, each member of the group specifies up to three colors they would like their blocks in and provides a mosaic of their favorite blocks so their fellow hive members can get a feel for what they would like to receive.  (Here is where I make my mosaics.)
This is the Mosaic I posted.
Timeline?  The year is divided into 4 quarters (there is the 4 in the 4x5) so you have a few months to make the blocks for the members of your hive.  Each quarter there is a new sign up and new hives are formed.  In fact, sign ups for the 4th quarter of the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee are happening right now.  If you are interested, read the rules and guidelines and fill out the online form.  

Edited:  Oops.  It looks like you have to go to the main 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee page and click "Join Group" and then you will be able to go to the discussion section that will have the rules, guidelines and online form.

Whoo!  Hope that wasn't too much information.  :)

 Moving on, here is the block I sent off for Danielle in our Twist on Tradition Bee.  It feels good to be all caught up and ready to go!

5 comments:

  1. thanks for explaining the 4x5 bee. I always wondered what the heck that was as well. Your blocks look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. perhaps it's just me, but all of the flickr links you posted concerning rules and guidelines are private. it gives me this message: "This page is private. Oops! You don't have permission to view this page." any way to repost?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blocks are great, and I'm sooo glad one of them is for me! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much for the explanation! I love your blocks! jeanine in Brazil

    ReplyDelete
  5. Which of the six is yours? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete