Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WIP Wednesday

5553243~Housewife-Jane-Amberg-Bathing-Her-4-Year-Old-Daughter-Pamela-Posters
"Once a week whether you need it or not!"
I don't WIP every Wednesday, but when I do it really helps me feel more organized and I really need that feeling right now.  I have a lot going on and I feel like I just keep moving from one thing to another and not really finishing anything.  It is not just too many sewing projects, it is laundry, dishes, kids, church responsibilities, post office runs, feeding chickens and all the other basic things that go along with life.  I won't bore you with a total "real life" list - I did do some laundry today - but hopefully this WIP Wednesday will help me get more organized and prioritize at least my sewing projects.

5557872~Housewife-Marjorie-McWeeney-Spends-100-Hours-a-Week-Caring-for-Her-Kids-Posters
The ideal time to write a to do list.
So in order of what is "due" first:
  1. Put Baby Jane Quilt and October Bee block in the mail - due TWO WEEKS AGO!
  2. Clean my work space.  My husband just put in a closet in around the corner from my quilting "den" and the whole basement area is a crazy mess.  I am usually really good about ignoring sewing room messes and continuing to sew, but it has moved beyond even my tolerance level.  Due ASAP so I can get some work done!
  3. We Can Do It! Skill Builder Sampler blocks - need to make one tomorrow!
  4. Quilt Rachel's quilt on the long arm.  I took my first long arm class today and am now qualified to rent time on the machine!!!   Scheduled for Monday afternoon.
  5. Finish fall inspired bag for guild swap - due 11/17.  I am making this bag.   So cute!
  6. Make November Bake Shop project - due by mid Nov.
  7. Send back November Bee Block - due end of Nov.
  8. Make some skirts for Emily.  She really needs something for Sundays.  I have the fabric but keep putting it off.  Will work on this during Thanksgiving since she will be around for fittings.
  9. Make December Bake Shop project - due end Nov./beginning Dec
  10. Prep drawstring bag fabric for church service project - due beginning of Dec.  I will share more about this project later.  I think it is a really meaningful service opportunity.
  11. Finish the drawstring bags that I was going to give all the cousins last Christmas.  Due mid-Dec
  12. Finish Improv. Quilt - January
  13. Make blocks for the 4x5 Modern Bee.  I have my fabrics already pulled for these.  I am going to make three mini hexagon flowers and applique them on a solid background.  I have over 48 hours of airport travel scheduled for December, so I thought a handwork heavy block would be a good idea.  Due mid January
  14. Start and finish liberated fan quilt by February.  Or at least a large number of blocks?  I am teaching a class on liberated tumblers and fans for the local guild and need to do some serious prep work.  Eeek! Yet rather proud.
816074~Housewife-Leaning-on-Window-Sill-as-She-Surveys-the-Street-from-Her-Home-PostersThings I have started and would really like to finish soon, but which have no specific due date:
  1. The chicken quilt - it is for baby Calvin who is now almost 3 months old.  It is bound and basted and just waiting for quilting.  Oh, I want to show it off at the guild meeting....  Due Nov. 17 if at all possible.
  2. The HST quilt.  This quilts is in yellows and will be for my sadly neglected living room.  I borrowed my friend's Go! and cut out all of the million HST and have pieced about 1/3 of them.  I want to work on it so much, but it doesn't really have a due date.
  3. Clogs - baby, kid and manly size
  4. Grandmother's Flower Garden
  5. Stars and Pinwheel quilt, 1930's quilt, scrapy 9-patch and dresden quilt, all of which haven't seen the light of day for months to years.


Ok, I still feel overwhelmed.  This is insane!!  I told Lee I only had 5-7 projects going at a time -  I think I was in denial.  I need to be more like Alison who works on one thing at a time.  That is my new plan.  I will just work down my list and finish every project one at a time.  And no matter how much I want to, I will not start anything else until this list is finished.  Right???

housewife23

Sorry there aren't any quilty pictures, but the idea of descending into The Mess to take pictures, download, edit and upload is beyond me at this point.  For way more uplifting and inspiring posts that include pictures of actual projects, check out all of the links at Lee's Anniversary WIP Wednesday post.  :)

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

37 comments:

  1. I hope that you find some time to work on some of these projects. The photos you used are perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that I am not the only one who operates this way. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps if you stopped 'feeding the chickens' you'd have more time. I don't have any chickens to feed and seem to be doing OK ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pictures!! lol!! Good luck with your list!! I am hoping to take some long arm classes soon too! Have fun renting!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see there are a whole lot of us saying "so it isn't just me." ;D

    LOVE the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good list! It looks like you have a lot going on. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! Great job at least posting the 'list'. :)

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're doing better than I am. I can't even face the list long enough to MAKE a list! Good luck - you'll get there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh I hope you can get some time in your sewing den too - even a couple of things crossed off the list would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mom works with a group that makes 'Bags of Love' and coordinates with CPS and another agency to provide them full of age and gender appropriate items when children are pulled out of difficult situations and put into foster care. Makes me curious if your 'bag' is for that type of an outreach project. I've been doing your skill builder project, but completely in EQ7 ! haaa. Just saw the button a week or two ago and got excited based on a panel print of Rosie that I have and the idea was sparked on how to use it, now if I could just find the panel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures you posted have me in a state of giggles!I've tried the one project at a time approach. Well, I guess it never got down to less than 3 projects at a time. It wasn't as fun :) I hope you find the time you need to get it done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Same here, same here...I think my head is beginning to spin off the rest of my body....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a list! Though I am sure it does feel good to have it all spelled out and pen put to internet paper! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Leila, is it bad that this post made me feel SO much better about the mess that is my house, life and sewing projects!! ;) I so know how you feel! I've felt so overwhelmed recently but little by little I'll get there! I love that dessert quote, brilliant! Good luck with your organising and sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So I decided to click on each of Lee's original posters and see what they're up to. And here you are! I've been here many times, and always enjoy reading your blog--I'll have to add you to my specialized WIP list (different than the linky business).

    I loved the photos on this post, the list of things that are due (I just finished prepping my Relief Society lesson instead of sewing on my Christmas blocks or my Autumn quilt) and enjoyed reading about trying to get organized now that you have a new closet. All good things.

    I browsed more on your blog (I've been gone and needed to catch up) and loved the Baby Jane tumbler quilt, the look at your Modern Bee blocks in red/white, and your paper piecing. So fun to see.

    Keep on quilting and mothering and doing all that you do, and thanks for helping get Lee off to a good start on her WIP.

    Elizabeth E.
    occasionalpiece.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it - not because you've got a long list, but because I think we've all been there. Eh, ARE there. You're better than me - I refuse to write out the entire list, because I currently prefer to be in denial. Good luck! I'm routing for ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. good luck on that whole not-starting-anything-else-until-all-these-are-done thing. I've made & broken that vow more times than I can count this year :) I loved the artwork you used for this post

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, what an amazing list! And such perfect photos you've chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fun pictures! And holy cow, I never realized that stressed is the reverse of desserts!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the images you shared - good luck with all those WIPs!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good for you for organizing your quilt-to-do list! But don't get stressed about it, get desserts instead!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL, you made me laugh. Good luck doing one thing at a time, I could never do that!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL - hope you'll get some sewing time soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. thats a longgg list haha but i have faith! you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hee hee, love those pictures you used. And hey, you have some things crossed off your list, always a bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Good luck on that list of yours... no worries on those bee blocks. When ever you get to them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, you do have a lot of things coming up! Good luck with it all - and hey, you're crossing them off one by one!

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is quite a list! You picked some cool pics to go along with your post too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yes, you have a lot going on... but at least its all written down in one place now so you don't have to keep trying to remember everything, then as you tackle stuff it will feel oh so good to cross things off!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your list is what mine would look like, if I was willing to write it down.
    Yay Desserts!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Um, yeah, 5 to 7 projects, huh? : ) That's quite a list, but I see you've crossed off several things already, so that's encouraging! Don't worry, you can tackle them. Thanks for sharing you WIPs with us, and thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday! : )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Good luck with that list! It's great to see some of the things already crossed off.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Your list is looking like mine, although unfortunately I keep finding more projects hiding that need to be completed!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great post, Leila! Your list looks a lot like mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your pictures made me smile, especially the one with "Desserts" and you are not alone, my list is of a similar length. That's the normal life of a quilter ;-)

    ReplyDelete