Friday, January 20, 2012

24 - Curved 9 Patch


I have always loved curved 9 Patch Blocks and was thrilled when I found a Curved Piecing Tutorial from Connecting Threads with the templates for this block.  I was going to have us make the whole block as shown  on the tutorial, but it ended up being 13 inches instead of 12!  Augh!  Anyway...we are going to make the central part of the block and then add on borders.

Print out the templates (page 5).
Cut:
4 pieces of fabric using template D (white),
4 with template B (orange)
4 with template C (yellow)
1 with template A ( yellow)

 Follow the instructions on the tutorial and sew the central 9 patch together.  Then add the curved outer pieces.
 My inner block was 9.5 inches square.  To frame the block cut 2.5 inch wide strips.  Sew the strips to either side of the inner block.  Trim the edges square and sew the remaining strips to the top and bottom of the block.  Press towards the outside of the block.

 Trim the block to 12.5 inches square.


You Did It!  


Our three weeks of curved blocks are done and I have learned that templates aren't that bad, a lot of steam can take care of a bit of waviness and curves aren't impossible. Not too shabby.  :)

10 comments:

  1. I love this curved block!! Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am dying to make this block. However, have you used it multiple times in one quilt and if so, do you have the amounts of fabric I must purchase. I love love love the colors you chose. I have never made a yellow or orange quilt. Can't wait. MaMie

      Delete
  2. I'm scared just looking at it but yours is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this block. Looks like a challenge. I must make one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this block!! I can't wait to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the nine patch is beautiful i would love to have this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the pattern. Where can one find the templates for this particular block? Blondie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a unique way to use the nine patch block. I liked it when I first saw it but then when I looked through your instructions and saw it turned on the diagonal I am liking it even more. Very outstanding, must try it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. printed nothing worthwhile. all i got was a picture of the square NO TEMPLATES or instructions. so no help at all

    ReplyDelete
  9. here is the correct link

    http://www.connectingthreads.com/tutorials/Curved_Piecing__D82.html

    ReplyDelete