Friday, February 11, 2011

My Happy Place


I don't know whether it was the abrupt transition from relaxing in the sun and listening to the waves on the beach to cleaning and listening to whining or the fact that it has been @#$*&! COLD here, but this has not been my best week ever.


Yesterday afternoon, I took some time to cut out teeny-tiny pieces of fabric for my civil war blocks. After dinner I stole away for a few minutes to start these wavy bee blocks for Jen who wanted wavy blocks using this tutorial. It was sooo calming.


I played around with cool colors.


And warm colors.

This morning I went back downstairs. The children were playing nicely and I just sewed and cut and sewed again. It was so therapeutic just to play with beautiful colors of fabric and see what I could make.


Somehow, while I am working I am able to just focus on what I am making and ignore all of the toys and scraps of fabric strewn on the floor. I just step over it all as I move from the sewing machine to the ironing board and back again.


I realized this morning that sewing is my happy place.
Thank goodness I can sew.
And thank goodness it will be in the 40's and 50's next week.

5 comments:

  1. Sewing is definitely my happy place too, no doubt about it. : ) And how could you not be happy looking at those GORGEOUS blocks? Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blocks Leila! I'm glad sewing is your happy place, I can't wait to see how this quilt turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my giddy aunt, I am not jokin when I say that I think these might be my favourite blocks of all time , they are just so beautiful and cool and wonderful and the ones with the really wavy lines are stunning. wow wow wow wow wow

    ReplyDelete
  4. These wonky kind of blocks are always my favorite. I'm trying to figure out why it appeals to me so much . . . I think because there is an order to the chaos. It rings deep and true with my being a mother . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these blocks! Making a Gees Bend inspired quilt is on the top of my "to make" list. How about after the crazy quilt?????

    ReplyDelete