Monday, April 27, 2015

That Quirky Scrap Quilt (along)

scrap quilt, quilt tutorial, precut fabric quilt, hst, qst, 4-patch quilt, free quilt tutorials patterns


I have had this quilt idea floating around in my head for awhile.  I want to make a quilt so bright, crazy and ugly that it is cool.  Like one of those quirky vintage scrap quilts.


This is my mock up.  It has squares, 4-patches, half square triangles and quarter square triangles.  It has a lot of aqua/turquoise and yellow and a bit of every other color under the sun.  The units are 4" square and the quilt is 52" x 64".  I think it is going to be awesome.  Or crazy ugly - there will be no in between with this quilt.

I want to finish this soon (goodness knows I have enough works in progress!).  So this is what I thought I would do.  I will post instructions for the quilt every Monday.  If you would like to quilt along that would be great!  If not, no big deal, but I will have deadlines for myself to finish.  Win-win.  :)

Here's the schedule:
April 27 - Fabric requirements (see below)
August 7 - The big reveal! 


Fabric Requirements:
About 6 yards of scraps  (to get the "quirky" look use at least 24 different fabrics)

If you are not sure that crazy and quirky is your style, here is another layout option.


I am really loving the rainbow look - I may have to make two.  :)

To give you a feel of what size of scraps you will need, the smallest pieces for the quilt are 2 1/2" strips and the largest are 5 1/2" squares.

So this week, pull out your scraps, decide which ones you want to use and (if they are as wrinkly as mine) give them an iron.

I hope you will quilt along!

9 comments:

  1. Love this idea and will try and keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rainbow quilt-hope to follow along!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just saw this post, and quirky is definitely my style. I need to start!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia S
    Just finishing a topper for my own scrappy quilt and saw your reveal. Looks great! Love the use of rainbow colors and diamonds. Thanks for sharing! When I get mine quilted I'll try to link mine except remember I simply made my own scrappy pattern and used fabrics from a bag that a friend gave me. No where as fancy as yours!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leila
    It is so fun to see you so prominent in the quilting world. I'm so proud to know you and see your name pop up here and there. I'll watch you to see what you come up with. Isn't quilting the best!!!! -This is Karen not Clark

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing. Both quilts are cool. I can tell you love what you do. Splendid!! Plan to make quirky as soon as time permits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. :/ not easy to read for the beginner quilter

    ReplyDelete