Tuesday, November 9, 2010

The Ultimate Work In Progress

Lee at Freshly Pieced is hosting a WIP Wednesday. Great idea! I can't wait to see what other people are working on and hopefully this will get some of my WIPs done at a faster pace. You have to have something to show on Wednesday after all. :)
This project started last October when I went to the AQS Quilt Show in Des Moines. The great ladies from Paper Pieces had a booth and showed me how to English paper piece.

I was hooked.

I messed around for a few months making hexagons out of scraps, but then I got a really good deal on 1930's reproduction fabric - 25 FQs for $25 - and my hexagon journey began in earnest.

I remember taking this picture last February. I was sooo proud of those 5 hexagon flowers.

By April I had made over 30 and was starting to sew them together.

Now I have 63 joined in two large sections and 29 waiting to be sewn together. Most of my hand work happens after the kids go to bed. After saying, "Pajamas, teeth, toilet!" ten million times I am ready for a break. I turn on Hulu and start stitching. I can get one flower done in 1 1/2 hours while watching TV - it only takes 45 minutes with no TV - but what fun is that? :)
I would love to finish the top by February - I'll keep you posted.

What are you working on?

12 comments:

  1. I am working on a GMFG as well and my progress has been much slower than yours! I can't wait to see it when it's finished! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's gorgeous!!! And paper piecing? Wow. That is so impressive and it looks so amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH my that is going to be an beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning!!! I am so impressed! Those are a LOT of hexies. Excellent job, it's just beautiful.

    It is great to have something to do in front of the TV after a long day. I've been thinking of trying this for a while now ... I just might after the holidays.

    Thanks for joining WIP Wednesday! See you next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good call on the reproduction fabrics. It is going to be a beautiful quilt, can't wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy moly! That is beautiful! I have not ventured into hexieland yet. Maybe someday, for a mug rug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous! This is one pattern that I have always ran from like the plaque...and the wedding ring too... I will just enjoy these as others make them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - I'm growing a tiny human and I haven't been nearly as productive as you. :) It looks great, Leila!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Those hexagon flowers are some of my favorite quilts. I haven't tried one yet, but hopefully some day...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this quilt (and by the way, I LOVE your American Gothic house too).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Leila - Thank you for coming to visit and bringing me over here to look at your GFG!! It is WONDERFUL!!!! And wow, you are fast, even with TV!! LOL!!! Ah, the wonders of youth after the kids are in bed!!! Kris

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a beautiful job, his girl leaves with more beautiful still, the picture was so beautiful! Congratulations, the quilt and beautiful daughters!

    ReplyDelete