This weekend, let's all get our fabric prepped.
1. Wash, dry and iron any non-quilting fabric you will be using.
2. Cut your foundation blocks. The foundation fabric needs to be at least 1 inch larger than your unfinished block size. I am using a 9 1/2 inch block, so I cut my foundation blocks to a rough 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch square. Because we will be trimming down the blocks your cutting does not need to be perfect.
- Fold the fabric in fourths from selvage to selvage so you have 4 layers of fabric.
- Cut 10 1/2 inches off the top
- Then trim a little off both sides (this cuts off the folds) to square it up to 10 1/2 inches
- Repeat until you have as many blocks as you need (my quilt takes 30)
One of the reasons I chose this sized block is because it left so few foundation scraps. No ugly fabric leftovers!
I will see you Monday morning with instructions for making our first block!