Saturday, March 5, 2011

#2 - Cutting the Foundation Blocks

This weekend, let's all get our fabric prepped.  

1.  Wash, dry and iron any non-quilting fabric you will be using.

2.  Cut your foundation blocks.  The foundation fabric needs to be at least 1 inch larger than your unfinished block size.  I am using a 9 1/2 inch block, so I cut my foundation blocks to a rough 10 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch square.  Because we will be trimming down the blocks your cutting does not need to be perfect.


  • Fold the fabric in fourths from selvage to selvage so you have 4 layers of fabric.
  • Cut 10 1/2 inches off the top
  • Then trim a little off both sides (this cuts off the folds) to square it up to 10 1/2 inches 
  • Repeat until you have as many blocks as you need (my quilt takes 30)


One of the reasons I chose this sized block is because it left so few foundation scraps.  No ugly fabric leftovers!

I will see you Monday morning with instructions for making our first block!

2 comments:

  1. I have been quilting for many years. I have wanted to try crazy quilting for sooo long. I have done it using scraps of vintage chenille bedspreads. That's tough because the seams tend to be much thicker than regular fabrics. (It gives me a way to not have to throw the scraps away.) I did it without using foundations to sew them to. I am learning so much. Keep up the good work. I have signed up to follow you. Blessings, Sondra P.S. I love Allie's work too!

    ReplyDelete