Tuesday, April 5, 2011

What's In A Name or Help!

Lynne at Lilly's Quilts asked us to share a project that has made up happy this last month.  


The first things I thought of were the Dresden plates as part of her quilt along.  I have LOVED playing with color, sewing and "hanging out" with the group online, but I didn't want to be a brown-noser...  :)


Then I thought of the hexagon shaped quilt made from these beautiful pink and yellow fabrics.  Can I say how much I love pink and yellow together.  I even wrote a tutorial.  (Seriously, sooo easy.)


But then I remembered this green note book.  I have filled pages with notes, thought about it as I was falling asleep, playing with legos, making dinner and brushing my teeth.  What is in this notebook?  My master plan. 

 My master plan for taking myself (and hopefully others) though a year long series of quilt block tutorials.  The first month we will cover the basics and start with a log cabin to make sure we are sewing an even 1/4 inch seam.  Next, we will talk about color and value and do an around the world block to work on matching seams and then a value block to practice half square triangles.  The series will build from simple to complex blocks and methods.

Some of the topics covered will be:
  • Half Square Triangles
  • Quarter Square Triangles
  • Flying Geese
  • Paper Piecing
  • Curves
  • Appliqué
  • Inset and Y seams
  • English Paper Piecing
  • Improvisational Piecing
  • Wonky Blocks
  • Foundation Pieced Blocks
  • Odd Shapes - apple cores, tumblers and hexagons
  • Whole Cloth Quilting
The plan is that I would post a tutorial the first three Fridays of each month.  The last week of the month will be a catch up week.  If you are current on your blocks by the end of the month you could win a prize.  (I know, soooo exciting!)

I hope to be able to face some of my fears and expand my quilting horizons.  I would like to start in May, but I need to get the word out.  And before I start getting the word out I need a name.  What should I call this series?  I was thinking of something along the lines of, "Just Try It!" or "A Taste of Quilting."  But I am convinced there is a better name out there.  Please, leave a comment and let me know if you would be interested in quilting along and what in the world I should call it.


 
Just for a laugh, here are some of the pictures that didn't make the large sized cut.  
It does not include the ones that were immediately deleted!  :)

8 comments:

  1. I'll think about a name although I'm rather bad at it, so I'm not sure about the outcome. In the meantime I just wanted to say that it's a great idea.
    And that I love the top middle photo from the "outtakes".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea. I am horrible at coming up with names for things. But I love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why not "quilt-along" Love the idea! Almost makes me want to sew....
    "Quilt-riffic"

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Unfortunately, I also am bad at names. I'd say something corny. Good luck with the name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, what a great idea! I would do it for sure. Unfortunately I'm terrible at names, but I'll think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Practicing piecing Quilt-along

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polychromasia
    I am not afraid of being corny. Polychromasia is a "colorful" adjective, as well as a disease. I think it is a perfect name for a quilting group. Talk to you soon :)

    ReplyDelete