Thursday, May 23, 2013

Skill Builder Sampler Quilt #2 - Colleen's Flower Quilt



The idea for this quilt started over two years ago.  There were a series of online conversations that made me wonder if I was doing all I could quilting wise.  There were so many things I wanted to make, but I was scared and intimidated to try them. Foundation paper piecing, applique, curves and working with templates scared me.  I figured I wasn't the only one out there with those feelings so I decided to start a quilt along where we would focus on one skill each month and make three blocks (easy, medium and challenging) with each skill.


I decided to call it the We Can Do It!  Skill Builder Sampler.  I love Rosie the Riveter and the feeling of "yeah, this is tough, but we can do it!"  And we did.  I learned that the hardest part of any block was overcoming the feelings of intimidation and being overwhelmed.  Not all of my blocks turned out perfect and I don't think I will ever like working with templates, but that is ok.  I tried it and in my book that is a success.


So for 12 months (with a two month break due to morning sickness!) we made 3 blocks a month.  You can take a look at all the great blocks and quilts the other women made in our flickr group.  I was originally going to put all 36 blocks into one queen sized quilt, but half way through I decided to make coordinating quilts for three of my girls.  Colleen loved all of the flower, rainbow and butterfly blocks so they all made it into her quilt.


This was such a learning experience!  I am entering this quilt in the Blogger's Quilt Festival in the Bed Quilt Category.  Head on over to nominate your favorite quilt!

Quilt Stats:
Size:  Approx. 64 x 92
Fabrics:  Kona White and mostly Holly Holderman
15 twelve inch blocks with 2 inch sashing
Custom quilted by me on a rented long arm machine

5 comments:

  1. This is very beautiful - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is such a happy quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Una colcha muy bonita y muy alegre. Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm crazy about your two quilts--they turned out so nicely. And I love the background you chose--a playground! Perfect! So I'd love to know how you tied them to the poles--I can't figure it out.

    Elizabeth E.
    opquilt.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leila! I'm happy I found you and your lovely blog! Your quilts are beautiful and this is adorable! Sunny wishes! Teje

    ReplyDelete