Thursday, April 14, 2011

Crazy Quilt Along #8 - Sashing

Today we will be joining our crazy quilt blocks with sashing.  (For earlier Crazy Quilt Along posts click here.)

While it is not absolutely necessary to use sashing between the blocks in your crazy quilt I would highly recommend it, especially if you are using heavy weight fabrics.  Imagine trying to sew over 4 layers of denim and 2 layers of foundation fabric - not pretty.


For the sashing on my quilt I cut 24 pieces of fabric 2 x 9.5 inches.  Lay out your blocks as desired and sew the sashing strips between the blocks until each row is sewn together.  I normally don't pin when I sew and that was a mistake with this project.  Because the thickness and layers of fabric in the block the sashing strip tended to shift.  Multiply small shifts in the fabric across a row and well, this quilt isn't going to win any awards.  Learn from me - Pin!


Once the rows are completed, cut a piece of fabric as long as your row length - piece if necessary.  I needed a piece 2 x 51.5 inches.  Sew the rows together.


And Voila!  Your crazy quilt top.  
(It's not really narrower at the bottom - the wind was blowing it away from me, I promise!)


I think this is one of my favorite blocks.
Coming soon:  Quilting Options.

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt is looking good! Isn't crazy quilting just the greatest!
    Kathy
    www.shawkl.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. your quilt is beautiful and so inspiring! thank you very much for teaching us how to make a crazy quilt!!!!

    ReplyDelete