Saturday, May 14, 2011

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Tree Quilt

 

I finished this quilt just in time for the BQF.  Yeah!  I got the idea for this quilt after seeing all of the quilts with little houses in the center of large white spaces like this one.  I thought, "Trees would be nice," and when I sent out fabric for my month in the online bee Bee Improvisational, I asked the other members to make me "tree blocks."  I used some of them in this baby quilt.  I made a few more and used the rest in this quilt.  So, more than a year after I got my blocks back, I completed the Tree Quilt.


I sashed out the odd sized blocks to twelve and a half inches.  I did the narrow flange border and binding in Kona Espresso and stipple quilted the whole thing.  I like how you can see the quilting in this picture.  Can you see those feet peeking out?  That is my neighbor.  He was a good sport and held up my quilt - they have better light in their yard.  :)  I thought I would hand sew the binding but ended up using my No Fail Machine Binding.  I love it.

Have you ever tried improvisational piecing?  It is really quite fun.  If you want to learn how or learn any other quilting skills check out the We Can Do It! Skill Builder Sampler.  Each month we will focus on learning a different quilting skill.

Thanks for hosting the Blogger's Quilt Festival again Amy.  It takes some of the sting out of not being in Salt Lake this week.   :)  Check out all of the other great quilts here.

32 comments:

  1. I love improv piecing, so fun and unstressful. This is such a great quilt. I've looked at 300 some festival quilts now and this is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These trees are all so very sweet - I love how they all come together so nicely here. Great finish - thanks for sharing. And yay for lovely neighbours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH this is fabulous! I adore the way you were inspired by the little houses--I loved those too! Hope you win a prize!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those quirky little designs (like Bonnie Hunter's 'maverick stars' where there's no matching, no points, etc. FREEDOM! LOL And I'm definitely going to try your binding method on my next donation quilt. Looks WAAYY easier than hand stitching it down!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these trees! This quilt is just an eye catcher and the white really makes those trees pop out. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Love improv trees!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great creativity! Like the different shapes and sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved the trees, found your tutorials, which are great, and am looking forward to your June skill building!

    ReplyDelete
  9. these trees are great, and I love the overall look of your quilt. stunning with that white backing!
    Kristina
    www.priscillacraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely quilt. I like your trees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun expressive quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome quilt, Leila! It's just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your trees! The design is creative and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous quilt Leila - I clicked on the images to make them larger and just sat and stared. Really effective and simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  15. this quilt festival is not good for me !
    Another quilt I want to make
    Love the green/white combination

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your words of praise. It means a lot to me in international posts. I started sewing in January 2011th.
    Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love hearing where ideas come from. And I love your quilt! Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So Cute!! I just love this quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. you're right the trees are more than nice. I think I am going to steal your idea. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the very different takes on trees. great quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this! I'm thinking of stealing your idea for my bee month as well. It turned out so fun. Love the skinny brown border. It frames it really well.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello Leila thanks for popping over, Love the trees, really cute, a nice change from houses!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the idea of blocks from many people. It adds such variety. Your quilt is wonderful. I also enjoyed having a look at your binding tutorial. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Leila, gorgeous quilt, very fresh looking :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your tree quilt is wonderful! It was an excellent idea for a bee.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love all of the different trees - they look great together (like in a forest)!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great quilting bee project. I love the variety you ended up with. Also, love your idea of a sampler quilt-along.

    ReplyDelete