Wednesday, May 16, 2012

WIP Wednesday


I have been cutting a lot this week.  I decided to jump into the Patchwork Prism QAL and this is what I have on my design wall so far.  I think I need a bigger wall...  ;)  I was originally going to have the quilt be dark in the center and fade out to light, but it just didn't look good when I laid it out.  I am rather nervous about starting to sew this one.  I have a huge mix of fabrics: 100% cotton, cotton/poly blends, linens and muslins and some of them are going to be hard to sew with, esp. as they are cut on the bias and prone to distortion.  Let's not even mention the fact that I used a template to cut them and template cutting is notoriously inaccurate (well, at least when I am doing the cutting).


Last night I also cut out a huge pile of white squares to alternate with my vintage eye-spy charms.  I have discovered that I need to be listening to something if I am doing a lot of cutting and I have been listening to the Harry Potter series this week while I cut fabric, do laundry, wash the stacks of pots and pans that have built up...  Somehow, listening to Harry Potter makes everything more enjoyable.


 I also finished these improv. fans last week (tutorial here) and sewed them together.  At last!  Do you think it needs a narrow white border on the sides or should I just quilt it up?  I am very tempted just to quilt it and get it done with at this point.  :)


What have you been working on this week?

6 comments:

  1. Those fans are so pretty! And you are brave with that Patchwork Prism, with all the different fabrics! It's going to look great though. Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those fans look awesome!!! And that Prism is going to be AweSOmE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm such a chicken - my Patchwork Prism isn't anywhere as brave as yours. Love the center out design and the amazing way it all radiates.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are pretty productive! Cutting out this and sewing that (I think I'd vote for a white border, just to contain the fans, but I totally get the "get it done" feeling) and I-spy blocks on top of everything else. Which reminds me that I still have all my I-Spy novelties all cut out. That's it--just cut out, and now that kid (who was about 7 at the time) is 28. My how time flies! It didn't help that I was doing the hexagon version of that quilt, rather than the smarter snowball block version. I'll be checking back to see how things go.

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. The prism looks really cool!
    I love the fans, I would just call it done!
    The vintage i-spy fabrics are gorgeous, can't wait to see more :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the soft colors of your improv fans- they look great!

    ReplyDelete