Thursday, October 5, 2017

Year of Scrappy Triangles


I have been playing around with these foundation paper pieced half-square triangles for a while and they are So. Much. Fun. I have made them in rainbow colors, full on scrappy, and low-volume scrappy. It is so relaxing to pick through my box of scraps to find the perfect fabric for each block. 'Cause that's how quilters relax. We play with fabric. And these triangles are the ultimate in fun, relaxing foundation paper piecing.


Not only are they fun to make, but they are very versatile. So many different quilts are made with just half square triangles. I could substitute these into any of them. So many options.


To keep me on track and to share the joy, I am going to post a link to a foundation paper pieced pdf pattern for a Scrappy Triangle every Tuesday, here on my blog. A different triangle every week for at least 52 weeks! (I have over 80 drafted, so I might just keep going....) To help keep us on track, we will have some link ups and prizes too.

I hope you will join me!

Click the links below to get patterns for the blocks we've made so far!

Block 1      Block 2      Block 3      Block 4      Block 5


Edited:

How can I be sure I don't miss a post?
There are a couple of options:
  1. Sign up to 'Follow by Email' (on the sidebar). It will send you an email notification every time I post on the blog (one or two times a week). 
  2. You can also sign up for my newsletter (on the sidebar). I will send out a newsletter every three or four weeks with links to the foundation patterns and other news.
  3. Follow me on Instagram @sewnbyleila. I will post pictures of the new scrappy triangle each week and provide a link to the pattern in my bio. 
Please, share pictures of your blocks on social media with the hashtag #yearofscrappytriangles. I would love to see them!

14 comments:

  1. It's so much fun to find another scrap-happy person! My scraps are piling up and making some of your Scrappy Triangles is perfect for me! It really is comforting and relaxing to sew pieces like this, so I look forward to you sharing your designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw your post about this on Instagram and I'm really excited about it! I recently learned how to do foundation paper piecing and I think this will be a great way for me to practice my new skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in! Thanks so much for this. I love samplers and year-long things and using my favorite scrappy fabrics. When will we start? I'm going to mark my daytimer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great opportunity to do FPP, which I love. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like fun. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colours! Would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I join as well. Was just looking for a scrappy project, my scrap boxes are so full.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect for me. Once a week is doable but can always do more than one of each pattern if I have time. Thanks for the chance to join.

    ReplyDelete
  9. cool. let me know where to get the patterns ...

    ReplyDelete
  10. So excited! Squares look beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excited to get started. I really need a scrap buster quilt as these little, cute, pieces of fabric are taking over my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh to get rid of my scraps that are building up!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made the first 4 Scrappy Triangles today. I can already picture a lovely finished quilt. But it looks like I will have to make two of each to get 100 blocks in one year! It’s gonna be fun.

    ReplyDelete