Friday, September 27, 2013

Seeing Red


There has been a lot of red happening around here.  A garden full of tomatoes means more canning and drying than I care to do right now.  Yet, I still really want home canned tomatoes all winter...want to come can for me?


I started a tradition years and years ago that the kids and I would go out to dinner one night if my husband was out of town on a business trip.  Then a few years ago I told myself that I could either go out to dinner or buy the equivalent  dollar amount in fabric.  So this year as my husband drove around the mid-west looking at corn, I made dinner and treated myself to some fabric.  :)  I have had this quilt on my mind for awhile and bought some vintage inspired Christmas fabrics to make it.


 I also bought some great reds to make up into a tree skirt for Christmas.  Yes, he was out of town tons this month!  I am going to make the tree skirt using my Diamond Quilt tutorial.  I have to say it was really handy to re-read the tutorial and not have to figure out how many diamonds to cut.


I have been using the cutting scraps to make this red and white hexi slab.  I think it wants to be a pillow.  Yep, I have Christmas on the mind, but if I don't start now it will be another Christmas with a random piece of fabric wrapped around the tree.


But I haven't totally forgotten about fall.  We went and picked some apples at a friend's house yesterday.  So this weekend we will be making applesauce and apple pie.  I love this time of year!


3 comments:

  1. Love your tradition for when your husband is out of town. Incidentally, my husband also looks at corn when he's out driving around the midwest--what does your husband do? Mine is taking a two week trip to India this fall--perhaps I should adopt your tradition to cover some of the projects I want to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great traditions. I will definitely keep that in mind!! Your hexys are gorgeous love them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be moving out of the Arctic and into "apple country" in only 2 months. Next year I may have a similar post! Fresh canned tomatoes, yay! Baskets of fresh picked apples, yay! :)

    ReplyDelete